Friday, July 25, 2008

Stepping Out Side of Rehearsal

It is Thursday and already this week has been incredible. I apologize for my lack of blogging. With an extreme lack of sleep and an intense rehearsal schedule, I have been left with little time to sit at my computer, but I am starting to get adjusted to the rhythm of my new lifestyle.

For the first time in two weeks, rehearsal has begun to sound good. The band is really starting to nail "Oye El Boom" and "Ayiko", two of the hardest pieces of the show. During the first half of this week, I found myself truly doubting my success as a musician, but the accomplishment of the group has been awesome and very encouraging. We have less than three weeks to learn two hours of material. The thought of perfection is overwhelming, but what we have accomplished so far has made for a strong foundation. While the band rehearses in the basement, dance, movement, and vocal rehearsals take place on the other three floors. Today, the cast began working on show blocking/staging. Judging by the talent I've seen in the group so far, it won't be long until band rehearsals are combined with the rest of the cast.

I have spent a lot of time in my blog discussing my feelings towards the music and arts of Up With People, but I was given the chance to witness our program’s effect on the community. Tuesday morning we were able to begin our first community interaction seminar. The cast and I were able to meet with local corporate sponsors. Some of the individuals we met with included the President of the Children's Museum of Denver and the Director of Health and Interaction from the Center for African-American Health. I found that I really had a connection with National Leadership Development Officer Morris W. Price, Jr. His view of society and generation really caused me to reflect on my position in current affairs. Price informed us that any individual student receiving a college degree today may work in over eight different professions in their adult career. He then told the group that four of these eight positions do not yet exist today. Price had many statistics and interesting facts that expanded my view of the future, but the most important element of his conversation with us was his value of the time consumed in preparation for the future. He believed that he was successful because he knew that his greatest fortune was his ability to move forward. He encouraged us to take advantage of every moment we were given, because our interests for exploration, that exist within us today, will carry us towards the future.

Tomorrow, we will be taking a break from rehearsal to visit the local courthouse and meet other individuals of Denver's society to hear their opinions on current events. Next week the band will rehearse with the cast and begin putting the show together as one.

Living so far away from the city, it has been very difficult to transport my guitar back and forth between the Sherman Center and Colleen's house so I was able to purchase a backup guitar at Musicians Warehouse in Denver. Mom and Dad! Don't worry, the price was right and look its PINK!




No comments: